Monday, September 7, 2015

My Wife's favorite pasta sauce

Though I personally can no longer eat tomatoes, I do get requests (like this) occasionally for items I can no longer eat.  As part of the nightshade a family they cause considerable inflammation for me if I eat more than a slice a month.  My wife still loves the red sauces I made before I cut them out of my diet.  So for her I'm bringing this recipe back.   She loves a good solid red sauce, and honestly so did I before I realized the negative impact it had on my body.

Ingredients:
  • Tomatoes
    • 3 Large Beefsteak tomatoes
    • 15 cherry tomatoes that were too soft for salads.
  • 2 teaspoons Garlic paste
  • 2 teaspoons Cilantro garlic scape paste
  • Handful of Italian herbs to taste
  • Pinch of dried rosemary leaves
  • 2 teaspoons of roasted onion
  • Salt and pepper to taste (light handful)
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric

Instructions:
  • Combine all ingredients and boil for 15 minutes.  
  • Use immersion blender to make a smooth red sauce
  • Cook at low for 30 minutes to thicken.  Try flavor 5-10 minutes before complete and if too acidic for your taste add teaspoon sugar at a time to reduce acidity to taste.   

Alternates:
  • Beefsteak tomatoes make the best sauce in my opinion but Roma were a close second for me and I know some Italians prefer the Roma.
  • Leftover salsa can be used, but will change flavor profile.  
  • If processed sugars a problem add honey or blackstrap molasses to reduce the acidity without adding processed sugars.  This is what I do for similar sauces I make for myself  

No comments:

Post a Comment