Typically these birds are much leaner as well and their body will not be as rounded making a stew much better way to prepare.
- 1 Rooster or Stewing Hen (I had a 4lb bird for this recipe)
- 1 cup water
- Sazon (http://drummingupabettermeal.blogspot.com/2015/08/sazon-blend-i-like.html)
- Place 1-2 cups water in slow cooker.
- Remove the chickens legs at the body joint to get a leg+thigh combo, and then remove the wings again at the body joint.
- Sprinkle well with Sazon and place these pieces outer skin down in the slow cooker.
- If you were lucky enough to get the neck with your bird sprinkle well with sazon and add to bottom of slow cooker with the legs and wings.
- Take the remainder of the bird, sprinkle well with sazon inside and out and place on top of the above ingredients.
- Cook at low on the slow cooker for 6 hours. By hour 4/5 depending on your slow cooker the meat will start falling off the bone, I prefer mine just a little more rendered.
- Serve and Enjoy
- This should feed 5 portions of meat. You will need sides.
- Save the liquid as a base to make a chicken broth soup later, This should be very concentrated chicken broth capable of serving a soup for 5.
- Typically I love to add Celery, Carrots, and Onions to the broth. I did not have any in the house when I made this one so went without.
- Rice if you are not grain free. If you make rice try and get a couple tablespoons of the chicken broth per cup water for a flavored rice.
- Potatoes or sweet potatoes. I typically prefer a quick stove fry, but mashed and oven roasted work as well
- Any Vegetable. I typically stick with an oldie but goody like peas and carrots, but there is no limit here.