- 2lbs worth of typically a Ham bone, but I got some pork neck bones from a local farmer. Note skip this ingredient for a vegetarian friendly version.
- 1 bag of split peas
Instructions for Broth if not making the soup as a vegetarian split pea soup:
Skip this section completely if going for vegetarian
- Slow and low boiled pig neck bones with Szechuan salt for 12 hours (see salt page).
- Cooled off the broth to fridge overnight.
- Next day another 2-3 hours slow and low. Once the meat comes off bones take out meat and bones
- Choose favorite broth and bring to heat.
- I use a pork based broth as that is what I prefer.
- A good vegetable broth makes this soup great as well.
- slow and low boil the split peas and some fresh turmeric about 2 hours
- Once peas fall apart immersion blend the result.
- Add minced meat from neck bones back in (Skip if vegetarian)
- Add a 16 oz container if coconut milk.
- Simmer to finish for 30 minutes.