- 4 large baking potatoes
- 4 shallots (small to med size -- to taste)
- 2-3 tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 slices of bacon. Completely optional if vegetarian.
- Spices for flavor. My favorites are lemon pepper and salt. Alternately Hungarian sweet paprika, pepper and salt.
- Brown up the bacon until crispy. Whatever your favorite method and put to side until cool on paper-towels. Skip this step if vegetarian.
- Boil the potatoes in the skin for roughly an hour. Stick a fork in them and if it goes in without resistance they are done.
- Let the potatoes cool for 5-10 minutes
- Peel the potatoes when still warm don't worry if they crumble a little.
- Place peeled potatoes in a bowl and chop loosely.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, finely minced shallots, and spices to the potatoes.
- Pour a few tablespoons of boiling water over it all
- Mix quickly before the potatoes soak up all the liquid.
- Serve warm or cold. For me tastes better if it's had an hour in the refrigerator to cool off and of course as leftovers.
- This is typically a side to grilling for me, but could be a side to any meal.
- Recipe feeds about 10-15 servings as a side
- Since no Mayo this can be safe for a warm day of grilling.
- Depending on what part of Germany you come from mustard may be added for a different flavor profile.